Do You Qualify for a Medicare Advantage Plan?
The list below outlines several ways you can qualify for enrollment in a Medicare Advantage (MA) plan:
- Anyone with an existing Medicare plan can enroll in a new Medicare Advantage and/or a new Medicare Prescription Drug plan during the Annual Election Period, from October 15 through December 7, for coverage effective January 1 of the following year.
- If you meet one of the following criteria, you can enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan outside of the Annual Election Period and the Medicare Advantage Disenrollment Period :
- You are new to Original Medicare.
- You're turning 65:
- You can enroll anytime during the three months before the month you turn 65.
- You can enroll anytime during the month you turn 65.
- You can enroll anytime during the three months after the month you turn 65.
- You have recently moved outside of your current service area for Medicare Advantage plans or Medicare Prescription Drug plans.
- You have both Medicare and Medicaid*, or your state helps pay for your Medicare premiums.
- You no longer qualify for Extra Help paying for your Medicare prescription drugs.
- You recently moved into, moved out of or currently reside in a long-term care facility (such as a nursing home).
- You recently left a Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) program.
- Your current Medicare Advantage plan is ending its contract with Medicare, or Medicare is ending its contract with your current Medicare Advantage plan.
- You qualify for Original Medicare and you involuntarily lost your prescription drug coverage, and your coverage was 'creditable' (meaning it was as good as Medicare coverage).
- You qualify for Original Medicare and you have recently lost your employer coverage, or are leaving employer coverage.
- You qualify for Original Medicare and you recently returned to the United States after living outside of the country.
- Additional SEPs for Medicare Advantage plans with Prescription Drug Coverage:
*Note: If you are covered under Medicaid and Medicare, you are eligible to switch plans once per month.
If you have questions about enrollment, please call us toll free at 1-866-249-8668 (TTY users call 711).